The pain when scarcity mindset bites you back

Videos about Sales, Advertising, Email,
Marisa Goudy

The pain when scarcity mindset bites you back

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:13 pm

It's summertime. My work hours are super limited. Essentially, I need to make enough to cover camp tuition and keep the American Express gods at bay. So I took on a "legacy" client - someone who has been following me since my old website biz partnership days. Someone I know who wants to do stuff on the cheap.

But money is money, right? I don't need to make too dollar to do some easy work to survive the summer and have time for my girls. Until I realize I'm seething. I'm snapping at the kids and I'm short changing the long term work on the projects that really will pay my top rate. I'm being led down the garden path because it's clear she doesn't have a clear concept of the value I offer - and the fact that it's labor intensive.

Anyway, promising that this is the last time. And listening to this podcast (also a video) from Sean McCabe. He and his cohost talk too much (show could be half as long) but there are some gems there. http://seanwes.com/podcast/156-how-to-d ... y-mindset/

Seeking advice from the trenches - who has survived and moved past scarcity mindset and nightmare clients?

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: The pain when scarcity mindset bites you back

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 am

Man oh man...those kinds of clients are not fun. I have had a few here and there. I'm not sure that I have fully moved past those kinds of clients 100% yet, but I am on my way as well. I have improved in the area of letting go of clients who suck the life blood out of me.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Marisa Goudy

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am

Honesty and clarity took this client relationship a long way. I'm making my "just enough to be ok" rate and I think we'll work together to create a finished project we're both proud of. But this has better be it! Onto "abundance" clients!

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:41 am

I think when we take on that "just enough to be ok" client, we both conciously and unconciously know that this is probably not a good idea BUT maybe it will be ok. We know better, but we do it anyway. Abundance clients all the way!!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com