Shipping to Your Event

Tips for Planning a business, corporate or local event and marketing it.
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Shipping to Your Event

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:17 pm

Recently, I was talking with a potential client about the details of their event. They are planning an international event which is going to be amazing. One of the many questions I asked was about shipping. This is how that went....

Me: "Have figured out how you are shipping to X country?"

Them: "What do we need to ship?"

Me: internal gasp and shaking my head "Do you have any branding and marketing collateral, signage, swag, gift bags, etc, etc that you will be using at the event?"

Them: "Oh, well we haven't figured that out yet."

Alright, there are clearly more issues here than just figuring out their shipping details, but let's focus on one problem at a time.

Shipping.
Shipping to Your Event.jpg
Shipping to Your Event.jpg (363.17 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Unless your event is down the street from your house, you will be shipping SOMETHING to your event. If you are doing a Tradeshow, then you are shipping a heck of a lot more than you would to a conference. We are not talking about Tradeshows here though today. We are talking retreats, seminars, conferences, etc.

Let's really simplify what you need to know for shipping.
  • What are you shipping?
    Where are you shipping?
    When does it need to arrive?
    Is it insured?
    How big is it? Meaning, how heavy is it and what are the dimension?
    Does it need to ship on a pallet?
    Are you dropping it off at the shipper?
    Is the shipper picking it up from your location?
    Are you going through customs?
    Are you shipping hazardous material?
    Who is responsible for itemizing the shipment?
    Who is your point of contact on the receiving end?
    Have you prepared return shipping labels?
Look, there is a lot more that goes into this, but this list at least gets you started. I cover more about shipping in my Event Planning Roadmap. You need to do your homework when you are shipping all of your material to your event. You need to make sure that you have a plan in place before you ship. Clearly this makes tracking and managing your shipment that much easier. The very last thing that you want to do is to lose a package, but what would be worse is to not receive a package and NOT know what was inside of it.

Mistakes like this add up quick and will eat up your profits.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com