Four Common Traits Lethal to Rock Stars and Blog Writers

Articles about writing and publishing tips, techniques, ebooks...
Marisa Goudy

Four Common Traits Lethal to Rock Stars and Blog Writers

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Just about a year ago, U2 made that very public "oops" when they pushed their album at everyone with an iTunes account. The backlash was more memorable that the music. Bono quickly apologized and explained the band's actions:

"A drop of megalomania, a twitch of generosity, a dash of self promotion – and deep fear that these songs that we poured our life into over the last few years mightn’t be heard."

Turns out that U2's very bad choice can teach you a lot about what not to do as a blogger - even if you're only trying to reach 500 rather than 500 million.

http://marisagoudy.com/four-common-trai ... g-writers/

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Sheryl Loch

Re: Four Common Traits Lethal to Rock Stars and Blog Writers

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26 am

Oh yes, I remember the U2 flub.
It seems people do think that what is important to them is important to everyone. And normal people know that is not the case. But, many times this is done out of good will as they are thinking that it will help the others.
As far as U2, if they tried to force their music on me...I would think it was a punishment. ;-}

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Marisa Goudy

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:45 am

I've been a U2 fan since the cradle, so I wanted to give them a benefit of the doubt, but the album was too boring to listen to twice.

If I'd paid for it (which I likely wouldn't have done since I have not bought their music in about 10 years mostly thanks to the fact that I made a lifetime's investment in those nosebleed seats during their '05 tour), I might have forced myself to get to know it well enough to care, but since it was free it was disposable.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:17 pm

I missed that big U2 oops AND I have an iTunes account.

Sounds like this is another one of those cases where we must pay attention to our audience.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com