What the "vocal fry" debate can teach you about writing powerful blog posts

Articles about writing and publishing tips, techniques, ebooks...
Marisa Goudy

What the "vocal fry" debate can teach you about writing powerful blog posts

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:49 am

Vocal fry... Does it make you crazy? Do you do it yourself? Do you have any idea what I'm talking about?

An open letter from feminist writer Naomi Wolf appeared in The Guardian last week. She was taking young women to task for a growly vocal habit they call "vocal fry." I'd never noticed it or been bothered by it, so I started to panic - what if I was doing it and annoying everyone over 40? A response from Debbie Cameron helped me find my footing and gave me the courage to speak without fearing I sounded like a Kardashian (without meaning to at all!).

I turned this experience into a blog post that isn't necessarily about women's speaking voices. Instead I focus on the writing voice and how every blog post can have the power to shift perspectives and change lives.

Please check out How to Crack Your Readers Wide Open and let me know what you think about the vocal fry controversy and about using your own powerful voice on the page and in speech.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: What the "vocal fry" debate can teach you about writing powerful blog posts

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:41 am

Oy vey! I had never heard of vocal fry before this. You're right. That video is hyper critical. I would never have even thought of there was anything wrong with how they speak. I hope I don't sound anything like that. LOL!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Marisa Goudy

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:36 am

And if you do - and if I do too - so what? It's ridiculous to fear we're committing some speech pattern sin we can't even recognize because the old guard finds it irritating. I bet my spaghetti strap sundresses bother old ladies. I've never cared about that.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am

Hehe! I bet mine do too! I love my strappy summer dresses. It seems like everyone's got to pick on somebody about something all the time. It gets old. Just let people be. We're all unique even with our vocal fry. :)

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com