How to Write for the Skimming Reader (and actually be ok with it)

Articles about writing and publishing tips, techniques, ebooks...
Marisa Goudy

How to Write for the Skimming Reader (and actually be ok with it)

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:25 pm

People don't read anymore! Authors and college professors have been whining about this for years, but what about all of us who spend so much time on content marketing? Why are we doing all this blogging when people only skim through a post, only seeing enough to decide "worth a share" or just clicking away?

The skimming reader is here to stay, so what do we do about it? In this post, How to Write for the Skimming Reader (and actually be ok with it) I explore why it's worth it to keep writing and keep blogging.

Then I offer you 5 Features of a Good Enough to Be Proud of Blog Post. It has to be focused, well written, clear & organized, story driven, and relevant... Hit all five of those and you'll write a post that gives those short attention span skimmers what they need and still allows you to hold on to your writerly self respect.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: How to Write for the Skimming Reader (and actually be ok with it)

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:30 am

I love to read, but when it comes to blog posts and articles I am definitely a skimmer at first. I actually like articles that draw me in and make me read them. To me it's a part of the Slow Web philosophy which I am really digging as of late.

Skimming is part of the Fast Web philosophy and that works too.

I think that we are so inundated with content that many find themselves in a place where they just need to share content albeit bad or good. I mean, they think what they are sharing is good, but they didn't read it to make sure. Every piece of content that I share I have read and have found something hopefully intelligent to say about it. I've read a lot of content that I wish I hadn't read...lol...but at the same time reading content I did not like or did not agree with adds to my knowledge and improves my perspective.

Anyway, I love reading your posts, Marisa. :)

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

krangara

Re: How to Write for the Skimming Reader (and actually be ok with it)

Unread post by krangara » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:58 am

LOVE LOVE LOVEEE!!!!! <3

ENJOYED this post from the first word to the last. The reason I take a few minutes reading an article is because of my love for words. If I enjoy the first paragraph of an article, I either Pocket it to read it in leisure later, or read it from the first word to the last.

Doing otherwise does grave injustice to the writer, I believe. BUT skimming through is better than not reading! I am skimming through a novel for a client because my goal is to find some quotes from the book. I don't care as much about the plot or the characters, so I am moving quickly to understand the context and do my job!

Again, you made me think, Marisa #HUGS

Kitto

Live without inhibition, love without restriction, laugh without hesitation - you are an inspiration to all! So smile and watch others curve their lips upwards too! ;)