How To Title Your Article so People Find it in Search

Articles about writing and publishing tips, techniques, ebooks...
Brad West

How To Title Your Article so People Find it in Search

Unread post by Brad West » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:52 am

It took me a very long time to figure out how to find and use good keywords when writing. It needed to be explained many times to me. I am still not as good at titles and meta as other people but I do have a method to find and use reasonably good keywords.

First I title my subject with something I know will be changed but being able to glance at my first title while I’m writing keeps me on track with my subject matter.

I write and try my best to stay on subject, get to the point without too much fluff, but make my post long enough making great points that the bots get a meal and determine that my content is viable and useful enough for others to read. Bots don’t really like a little empty snack they be hungry for great content.

Now that I have written reread and edited my post it is still a grammatical nightmare because I’m a not a writer, good thing there isn’t a grammar bot so it will still work for the purpose it was intended, information.

Alrighty!... I have my text and know what the main subject is. So back to the title I go. My subject is “how to find relevant keywords that represent what I’m trying to convey in my message so they get found in search.” That is a little lengthy so I used “How to get your shit found in search.” I do know that wouldn’t work but it will keep me on track.

Finding your title is a matter of reverse engineering your thoughts. Don’t try and get fancy and cute, be straight forward and to the point to create something that will work. If you have an educational piece “How To” is something to think about including in your title, how to is a highly searched term. Lists are often sot after I believe 10 things gets the most searches. Watch Google's Autocomplete as you type the suggestions are some of the more common searches made for the words you are typing. You want to use words that people are searching for.

Overview:
  • Title your article if you need to before you start writing.
    Write your article. Bigger is better the bots love content.
    Think about your subject and how, when, what, or where.
    Be specific not general when describing what you wrote.
SEO is a hard game to play but with some thought and work you can get your work included in the searches. To keep track of how you are doing you can always look at the views on the forum and establish is you are getting better at this craft.

What works best for you?
Are you getting the results you desire?

Don't Waste Time on Things that Don't Work
Live Life Large!

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: How To Title Your Article so People Find it in Search

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks for the great process to follow Brad. I know most of us here are not SEO savvy, so hopefully everyone can takeaway something from this!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Kirstin Hancock

Unread post by Kirstin Hancock » Tue May 17, 2016 5:48 am

When reading this article I ponder on my latest blog post! Brad West do you have any tools to help you write the best title for a post?

Kirstin Hancock
Co-founder Blue Maestro
Inventor Pacif-i, the Smart Pacifier

systemsavvy

Unread post by systemsavvy » Tue May 17, 2016 5:56 am

Love the idea about creating a "working title" first, then coming back and creating the "actual" title after finished. Takes the pressure off! Plus, I find I've been using more general words instead of specific words . . . so I'll start switching that up!

Make today productive, rewarding, and fun!

Lisa

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed May 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Lisa, we do this with our videos too. We run with a working topic and then once it's recorded we do the research to figure out what our final title should be before we publish. This is just one little trick that has helped us end up in search on both YouTube and Google.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com