Apple Stole My Music

Articles about artist, learning music, music philosophy...
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Apple Stole My Music

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sat May 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Apple iTunes has been extremely popular since the invention of the very first iPod. I personally have had an iTunes account for over a decade. That's a really long time. Over the years I have burned cd's that I have purchased onto my computer. At one point I had a couple of hundred cd's and all of my music was now on my computer. I was tired of lugging cd's around everywhere, so being able to access all of my music was great! I got rid of all of my cd's at a music resale shop and was thrilled to get rid of the huge storage box.

Well, that was a HUGE mistake.

All of my music ended up in iTunes, which is bad, but at the time I had no idea how bad. I had a backup of all of my music in a file on my external hard drive just in case I ever lost it. (Btw, my hard drive died and all the files were unrecoverable.) Eventually, I started noticing that music I wanted to listen to, my music from my cd's, was not available. It was just gone. The file name was there, but there was no music file or the music file was unsupported. I just thought it was an error, but didn't know how to fix it and since I had lost my backup on my external hard drive I figured I was just screwed. And I was. I never thought that there was the possibility of recovering it from Apple, nor did I ever think that they would take my files and change them or delete them! WTF!

I read this article about how Apple is basically stealing user's music, deleting, changing it and it's all legal. It's in the TOS that they can and who in the hell reads TOS's? I know, I know...we are all supposed to read them and this is exactly WHY we are supposed to read them. I have lost hundreds of dollars in music over the years from Apple that I will never recover, but I agreed to the TOS.

If Apple received enough backlash from it's users do you think they would do anything to rectify this situation? I'm thinking not.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Re: Apple Stole My Music

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Mon May 09, 2016 12:54 am

That is CRAZY!!! Who the hell expects a program like iTunes to steal music you already own and is on your own machine?

I know you always hear to read the TOS, but holy shit! They are usually filled with so much legal mumbo jumbo that your brain goes numb! This is what companies count on. Not sure why they can write things in layman's terms if they know most reading it are laymen!

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Apple Stole My Music

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon May 09, 2016 8:54 am

It's really crazy and after reading this article I was pissed. I lost so much music because Apple stole it.

Yup, no TOS is ever put in layman's terms and therefore they screw the layman. Even if we thought we understood what the TOS meant or intended, it's all up to interpretation and what we understand it to mean could be totally different than what the company intended. Eff your customers basically.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com