Don't Judge Those at the Poverty Level

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Don't Judge Those at the Poverty Level

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Let me start off by saying I don't agree with everything in this article, but from experience I can relate to much of this piece.

It really is expensive to be poor, but how do you change it when you are stuck in a cycle that you can't get out of?

When you are just trying to make ends meet and you have to decide between rent, groceries, car payments, credit card bills and there is more month than money it seems impossible. There are so many hard working, brilliant people who are stuck in this cycle. They are not looking for a handout, they are looking for a help up. If they could only get out of the cycle and get just a little bit better paying job, get a break once in awhile it would make a world of difference to them.

I'm not talking about the freeloaders that we know use and abuse the system. I'm talking about the men and women who are down on their luck for one reason or another and are working their asses off to take care of their family and handle their responsibilities.

Don't judge them because they appear to be worse off than you. Find a way to help make a difference in someone's life. Not everyone has family that can help them. And honestly, it sucks to be judged by the world because you just don't have enough even though you are giving your all and doing the best that you can.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Marisa Goudy

Re: Don't Judge Those at the Poverty Level

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:39 am

"Poverty is not a character failing or a lack of motivation. Poverty is a shortage of money."
And some poor people have crappy character. Guess what - rich people do too.
Conversations about the social safety net always seem to be black and white - or red and blue. How can we pick sides in terms of fund it or don't fund it when every story of poverty is different?
This whole piece is thought provoking, Lany.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Marisa Goudy wrote:"Poverty is not a character failing or a lack of motivation. Poverty is a shortage of money."
And some poor people have crappy character. Guess what - rich people do too.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Money doesn't make people good or bad. Money enhances their character. If they are good poor, they will be good rich and vice versa... for the most part.

I love thought provoking stuff. It really makes you dive in and check your own motives, actions and reactions.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Kristin Drysdale

Unread post by Kristin Drysdale » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:04 am

This is excellent. A+++++++ for finding the piece and for sharing it. One hand up, and one hand down... This kind of kindness economy can stretch a far ways.

~Kristin Drysdale

Kristin Drysdale

Kirstin Hancock

Unread post by Kirstin Hancock » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:10 pm

This is a thought provoking article! I grew up with very little but never in poverty!

Poverty or the lack of money is caused by many factors! As you all probably know I live in the welfare state of the UK! I have seen real poverty in my time and it is not easily adjusted. There are a lot of people men and women working hard to make ends meet and there are a lot of people who waste the money they have!

Kirstin Hancock
Co-founder Blue Maestro
Inventor Pacif-i, the Smart Pacifier

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:32 am

I was on welfare for a short time during the end of my marriage to my ex-husband and father of my children. The best thing about it was being able to buy food, albeit limited, without having to worry that the check (or atm card) would bounce. The WORST thing about it was that I didn't want to be on welfare, one because my ex thought that it was the noble thing to to... to get help from the system instead of going to work every day and being productive, and two because it's a VERY HARD system to get off of.
Even their Back to Work program limited you because they would deduct your salary from your benefits, leaving you no better off. You had to make above a certain threshhold just to break even. I eventually made a clean break by just refusing any more services, and dealing with the chips as they fell. Funnily enough, one chip was a seizure of funds out of our taxes this year (over three years later) that they claimed were overpaid to me. I couldn't live on what they gave me, overpaid or not.

I grew up with very little too, and even though at times we still struggle to make ends meet, I think our kids are much more aware of what they have and they don't have sometimes creating entitlement attitudes. No easy answer to this one.

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:35 am

There is a time and place where that kind of support is needed. There is no shame in taking at all. I hate that they get you sucked into the cycle though so it makes it hard to get out of it.

When my dad broke his back, we had to go on food stamps. My mom worked 3 jobs, my dad had to heal and then the state paid for him to get rehab'd into a new line of work and there were 4 of us kids. Hard times doesn't even fit that time of our life.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:24 am

It certainly makes us more sympathetic to others doesn't it?

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:40 am

It most definitely does. I've known many people (myself included) who have fallen on hard times. Usually, it's just a temporary setback, but man oh man...some have been treated so badly by family and friends.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com