Sports are a women's issue because you probably don't think they're a women's issue

Marisa Goudy

Sports are a women's issue because you probably don't think they're a women's issue

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:37 pm

A friend, who was once a high school softball star, sent me this article on why feminism needs women's sports. Since I spent high school in the marching band and on the stage, she clearly sent it because it had my favorite "f" word in it.

As I read at first, I was really just humoring her. It felt pretty irrelevant I me - especially since I'm pretty open about how dismayed i would be if my daughters got caight up in travel sports teams. Then I kept going and realized I was part of the problem.

http://skepchick.org/2015/07/feminism-n ... ns-sports/

"And are sports frivolous? Perhaps, but no more so than entertainment—and feminists have no trouble wearing out their keyboards on Game of Thrones and Nicki Minaj. Entertainment is a microcosm of cultural values and change that can play out on the field just as it can on screen, and it has. Sport has been the locus for the fight for racial equality and, more recently, LGBTQ equality, and feminism must link arms with these struggles and lift up the athletes brave enough to change the system from within. We can fight rape culture in football without erasing or dismissing the female athletes who are constantly discouraged from continuing in their passion."

I'm convinced. It matters that I watched the women's World Cup match with my girls. I'm more than grateful that we missed a beach sunset for that historic win - and crazy awesome goal.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Sports are a women's issue because you probably don't think they're a women's issue

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 pm

I never thought about this perspective. The only sport I ever watch on tv is volleyball. Men or Women it doesn't matter, but I don't like to watch any sports on tv at all. I prefer to watch them live and in person!

I think gender equality is super important as we raise our daughters up. The fight between feminism and chauvinism is as old as the hills, but it's time that we put an end to this bitter rivalry. There is no need for it. There are amazing women across the globe in sports, business, tech and beyond. They deserve the recognition and credit due them for being successful in their career or sport.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com