My Journey Back to a Healthier Me

Articles about staying or getting healthy!
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

My Journey Back to a Healthier Me

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm going to open up and be totally vulnerable with all of you in hopes that I could encourage others and also find accountability and encouragement myself.

5 years ago I decided to get healthy and fit. I had let myself go like so many of us do. I was working with a group of Chiropractors and was surrounded daily by health conversations. I was not ignorant of health and fitness. I had made earlier attempts in my life to lose weight with not much success. I was not heavy growing up. I played 3 sports and even to this day still play volleyball. From 2010-2013 I was on a roll. I lost a bunch of weight. Had surgery on my shoulder, dealt with knee and back issues, worked with a physical therapist/personal trainer, walked and hiked miles with Mika (my dog) and started doing Crossfit. I was 85/90% gluten free. I had cut out all dairy, bread and processed sugar from my diet, except for the rare Starbucks coffee runs.

I was not skinny nor was that my aim. I prefer to be healthy. I learned what worked for my body. What workouts made a difference, positively or negatively. The same with food.

Then in 2013, life changed. I relocated back to Portland and without going into all the personal details, let's just say that my lifestyle changed dramatically and not for the good. I stopped working out. My diet was turned upside down. I have since gained back most of the weight that I had previously worked so hard to lose. After 2 years of upheaval in my personal health, I am taking control over it all again.

On August 3, 2015, I started back on the path that I used to run happily down. I cut all processed sugars, dairy and breads out of my diet. I got back into a workout regiment that resonates with me. For the last 3 months, I had already reverted much of my eating back to my old, good routine, but now I am remembering to actually eat. That is kind of important.

At this point I am 4 days in. I have worked out 3 of the last 4 days and have already dropped a few pounds! Yay! I know...when you first lose it's mostly water, but progress is progress at this point in my head. I have remembered to eat and I am not craving sugar like I used to.

So...there it is... my vulnerability front and center for you all. I'll post updates in here regularly. I am keeping a written journal with some basic details, but I'm thinking about using this post as a way to hold myself accountable in this.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Re: My Journey Back to a Healthier Me

Unread post by JessMaynard » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:02 am

That rocks!!! Good for you!

I am guilty of not eating too. I actually had gotten to a point that my body didn't really tell me (I don't get a growl) when I was hungry- I would only remember when my blood sugar dropped and I got cloudy and shaky. But over the last month or so (wedding & honeymoon included) I have been telling my body to just tell me & I will feed it. Also I always did a high protein breakfast all honeymoon and that helped.
That reminds me I need to go eat ;)
Good luck with everything! I will be following, cheering you on and even joining in on your path a bit too!!!!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks Jess! I appreciate the support! I'm here body for you too!

Not eating is so bad and I know it. I've gotten to be the same too where my body doesn't tell me until my blood sugar drops and I have to eat that instant or bad things will happen. I've gotten back on track. I'm eating 4-5 times a day. It's not always easy, but I'm making it a habit again. I really do know better and I have no excuse.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:38 pm

Excellent! Well, let's be more specific. What are you on-track good meal ideas? What are your favorite workouts/move yourself ideas too?

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Great questions Jess!

Ok, so I have become extremely lazy with my cooking. I actually prefer to batch cook and then freeze everything in individual portions, so it makes it easy peasy!

Right now, I'm keep my food really simple.

Breakfast Options:
2 eggs with a diced and roasted yam
2 egg breakfast burrito with tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno and a touch of salsa
Steel Cut Oats with fruit
Raspberry tea with a teaspoon of raw, organic honey

Snack:
Vegis with hummus
Grape tomatoes
Fruit
Hard boiled eggs

Lunch/Dinner Options:
Salad with protein and lots of vegi's
I made a batch of shredded beef and shredded chicken, so I just take an individual portion out of the freezer, defrost, heat and add it to my salad.
Or throw the whole mix into a tortilla.
I use salsa as a salad dressing.
Quinoa and black beans served the same way above.
Beef stew is good too or chicken/vegetable soups.

I seriously keep my food really basic. No processed sugar. No bread. No dairy. No coffee. My cheat is my organic tortillas.

I'm doing Beachbody's 21 Day Fit Extreme program on demand. I LOVE it. I love workouts that challenge me. I'm going to do 2-3 rounds of it and then decide what I want to do next.

I also walk Mika 1-2 times per day for 30-60 minutes.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:42 pm

Great! Thanks for all your info! And it all sounds delicious~I also love salsa as dressing or add a dollop of greek yogurt, kind of works like sour cream with salsa.

Good for you. I tried some 21 day workouts and couldn't walk for about 4 days so I have been scared to try again. & I know people say work out through the pain~ no thanks ;)

Well keep us up to speed on things-likes, dislikes, what's working! Go Lany!!!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Oh ya.. and I've lost 7lbs in the first week! Yay!

Thanks Jess! I'll keep posting in here weekly with updates. I didn't actually workout everyday this week either for the pain reason you mentioned! Ha! Oh and I had headaches all week. I pushed through most of it though. I'll get the 21 day program done in 25 days this first time and I am totally ok with that. It will get easier and easier as time gies on and the more weight I lose.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Ah...I have not worked out for 2 days. I just feel zapped of all my energy. I need some motivation!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:14 am

Maybe my body needed a rest, I don't know. I stepped on the scale this morning and have officially dropped 10lbs! Yay! Actually eating has made a difference. I've been eating healthy, but not eating consistently until I got my butt back in gear. The consistency of putting good food in my body as fuel has made the difference.

I'm about to go do a quick workout right now and I am starving at the moment. Can't wait to eat. You'll rarely hear me say that...lol

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

krangara

Unread post by krangara » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 pm

*IN AWE*

WOW Lany - you sure have some willpower, lady! #HUGSSS

I AM PROUD of you for not only being honest about your struggles OR choosing to make positive changes, BUT ALSO because you are courageous enough to NEVER stray! <3

LOVE YA

K

Live without inhibition, love without restriction, laugh without hesitation - you are an inspiration to all! So smile and watch others curve their lips upwards too! ;)

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Aw...thank you Kitty! It's not all sunshine and roses...let me tell ya!

Being able to share with you ladies adds a level of accountability that I need. I know you are watching, so it adds another layer of desire to NOT fail. I'll struggle and fall flat on my ass at times, but I know I can and need to pick myself up and dust myself off and KEEP GOING!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:15 am

My muffin top is almost gone! Yay! lol

Seriously.. I was pushing to the next jean size and I REFUSED to go up another pants size... that was just insanity. I threw on my jeans this morning and they are almost a perfect fit. Now I can't wait for them to be too big.

Yesterday was my 2 week checkin. I've lost 12lbs and overall 12 inches! Random that they are the exact same number. My goal was to lose 15 lbs in the first 3 weeks, so only 3 lbs to go to hit this first goal.

I feel better, lighter, healthier. The only thing that I am running into is these damn headaches. There's a lot of factors to them and I am handling each factor. Don't diagnose me please. :) I have pushed through most of the headaches. I have not worked out every day, but I have kept up a consistent schedule and my eating is on point.

I could sure go for some pizza or a bagel or even tortilla chips right now. I can't even tell you how good a cup of coffee sounds. Oy vey! 4 more weeks of no coffee or cheats. I am committed to eating super clean for the first 6 weeks and then I'll evaluate what my cheats are and what day is my cheat day.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com