Moving Away from Plus Size

Articles about Fashion, Beauty, and Wearable Tech
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Moving Away from Plus Size

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:59 pm

I adore Melissa McCarthy as an actress. She's downright hilarious. What I love about her even more is she embraces who she is and the beauty in women. She is fighting the Plus Size term with her own clothing line.
McCarthy explained: “Women come in all sizes. Seventy percent of women in the United States are a size 14 or above, and that’s technically ‘plus-size,’ so you’re taking your biggest category of people and telling them, ‘You’re not really worthy.’ I find that very strange.”
She's right! On top of that clothing sizes have changed so much over the years. Marisa shared a post recently about how dress sizes have changed. The fashin industry is messing with women and most definitely NOT in a good way.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Re: Moving Away from Plus Size

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:48 am

I really have to look into this line as a buyer! I wonder if she is selling to smaller boutiques!

In response to her quote~ I suppose how would people feel if we converted the current size 14- to 1, then went up from there but then did negative numbers for anyone smaller. I don't think anyone would like that at all!

I have stopped taking the number on the tag of my clothes personally. It ISN'T insulting me; I AM no better or worse than a S or a 6 or a 24. It's the size of my clothing, it's an organization system to facilitate buying/making clothing. But I have done the thinking for myself that needs to be done to realize that the tag doesn't matter. It started for me when I looked at my things and realized I currently have M, L, XL, XXL, 14, 16, 18 in my closet and they all look good on ME. It's about ME feeling good not about the clothing or even the designer/brand. They may thing that M is not supposed to fit a person of my size~ too freaking bad, I like the way the M looks because the L looked like I was wearing a completely oversized burlap sack & wasn't flattering.

I urge everyone to stop worrying about the bleeping tag, reframe your thinking to know its organization not judgement & just put clothing on so you can go out into the world and kick ass & let your light shine~

We all have gifts and purpose, don't let a little cloth tag you can cut out in a second with a pair of scissors bring you down! S or XXL I don't care if you are a good person and you are doing something amazing, well I wanna know you!
Imagine if Melissa McCarthy had let a tag stop her, I wouldn't have snort-laughed as many times in my life because frankly she is one of the funniest people in hollywood possibly ever!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:02 pm

I urge everyone to stop worrying about the bleeping tag, reframe your thinking to know its organization not judgement & just put clothing on so you can go out into the world and kick ass & let your light shine~

We all have gifts and purpose, don't let a little cloth tag you can cut out in a second with a pair of scissors bring you down! S or XXL I don't care if you are a good person and you are doing something amazing, well I wanna know you!
Imagine if Melissa McCarthy had let a tag stop her, I wouldn't have snort-laughed as many times in my life because frankly she is one of the funniest people in hollywood possibly ever!

OMGosh.. I freaking love you Jess for ^^^

I like how you frame it though. It is an organization system. Now if the rest of the world focused more on that rather than putting so much value in a person who is a particular size AND focusing on the size rather than who that person is and what that person does.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm

It kind of reminds me of the movie Shallow Hal Lany~ where he can only see people as who they are on the inside and not the outside. That would be nice if we all had that hypnosis huh!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Oh man.. I have not seen that movie in AGES! Yes, it would be great if we all could look at each other from the inside out.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:12 am

It would save us a few headaches wouldn't it! & some of the kindest, most beautiful people may not have the most perfect outsides and holy are people missing out if they can't get past the outside!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:51 am

It would definitely change everything.

Oh and Jess, it would be awesome if you could be a buyer of her line!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:07 pm

I know! I see Home Shopping Network, Nordstrom's. I will keep looking but a lot of times it is harder to organize things for a smaller volume store with smaller orders.

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks for the hook up via Twitter Lany!!! That at least gets me a contact maybe!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:36 pm

You know what I love about what Melissa has done with this line is that she wears every piece to make sure that it is comfortable. So, when I go buy her line I know without a doubt I will be comfy in them.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com