Your dress size is a big fat lie

Articles about Fashion, Beauty, and Wearable Tech
Marisa Goudy

Your dress size is a big fat lie

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:16 am

Body shaming is such a huge issue (and I love how we unpacked it in this post about the Bugaboo Ad Outrage).

One thing that makes the whole issue so much weirder is the introduction of vanity sizing. This Washington Post article offers a history of women's clothing sizes:

"A size 8 dress today is nearly the equivalent of a size 16 dress in 1958. And a size 8 dress of 1958 doesn't even have a modern-day equivalent — the waist and bust measurements of a Mad Men-era 8 come in smaller than today's size 00."

Have women really changed that much or has the fashion industry always set impossible standards for the female form?
Last edited by Marisa Goudy on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

JessMaynard

Re: You dress size is a big fat lie

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:49 am

Oh what a topic!!!! I think that women have changed that much BUT I read some of the comments & was reminded of FOUNDATIONS. Most people don't even know what that is and most stores do not have a "foundations" department at all. So I believe that women are a bit larger AND we don't wear girdles and other slimming garments that were everyday in the 50s.

I just have to say as a clothing retailer/buyer~it is so, so variable across all the brands. I have bought M, L, XL & 1X from the different brands I carry. It depends on how I want it to fit. I try to get women over their fears of the next size up in my dressing room on a regular basis. It's not you, it's them! I have had women not buy a really flattering, adorable outfit because it was a L and she is a M. It's sad to me that we hold on to these numbers and letters like they really matter. They don't but some of our culture don't realize it...

Someday I may manufacture clothing and this will be a big conundrum for me. I would rather call sizes by nice things to say about yourself. Pretty,Fun, Happy, Beautiful...those are nice sizes!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:06 pm

I wear a girdle...or is it called a Spanx now! Bwahahahaha!

I prefer clothes that FIT and look "Pretty, Fun, Happy, and Beautiful" {stealing from Jess} but I've put on weight and find that many pieces even in sizes that purportedly fit, don't make me feel nice at all. :/

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:58 pm

I only pay attention to my dress size when/if I gain weight. That's just a sign to me to that I need to do something. I'm with Michele. I like clothes that FIT and I love Jess' idea. We are all beautiftul no matter what our dress or jean size is.

I look back at the 20-50's even 60's and 70's and they had a different level of class and style. Don't get me wrong, I like my yoga pants, but have we lost something they had back then with the abundance of stretchy fabric on our butts?

I love me some SPANX! Ya buddy!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:15 am

I sooooooo dislike buying clothes. I really hate that I can't just go to the rack and grab my size. What I think is my size could be to big or to small and even then it fluctuates in the same store and same style. Crazy and bothersome, so I just go to the men's T-Shirt and shorts section and get XLarge and call it a good shopping day. I'll try shopping again in a couple of years.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 am

What's really funny about that Sheryl is that a Mens XL is SO big on your tiny frame! LOL!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:49 am

YA Buddy! LOL Lany!

Yes Sheryl, shopping can be such a gawdawful chore! And Hey, I've seen some amazing T-shirt to Dress transformations! But not only am I no seamstress, but I wouldn't wear 'em anyway.

I do like my big Tees to lounge in.

Michele Jennae

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:23 am

:D I'm hilarious and I know it. LOL!

I love long tank tops. I hate t-shirts. The girls never fit right, so tank tops are way more my speed.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Marisa Goudy

Re: Your dress size is a big fat lie

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:30 am

Jessica - I'll never forget being in the dressing room with my Nana circa 1988. She was buying her mother-of-the-bride dress for my aunt's wedding. She was sure that oh-so-dusky-rose dress would be wonderful if she'd remembered to wear her "foundation." I'll never forget the image I conjured in my head of my grandmother encased in cement. I've never tried on a girdle, but I would guess that's what they could be like!

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:37 am

What do girdle's feel like? I have never triend one on either? Do they even still sell girdles in this day and age?

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:25 am

I don't really know actually, but I imagine them to be the body shapers of their day.

Michele Jennae

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:46 am

I think so. I like Marisa's imagination of them being like cement. Everything that we see on TV and movies makes me think they were a bitch to wear and not nearly as comfy as our Spanx.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com