Authenticity or Sincerity: Which do you prefer?

Articles that are about business that do not fit other categories.
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Authenticity or Sincerity: Which do you prefer?

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:05 am

Over the last 2 years we have beat Authenticity to death. Literally, you couldn't go anywhere without someone spouting theiropinion on being authentic, what it means, what we "should" be doing, how we should be and on and on and on..... Honestly, the word authentic became one of the most overused words of 2014 and 2015. Many people I know, hated the word.

But what are we trying to be if we are trying to be our most authentic selves? Watching all of these conversations and reading lots of articles on it, I believe that people were really talking about being your real self, being true to you, being the most genuine version of yourself, but they abused the wrong word. Oh well..

Blair Glaser shared this article on Facebook about authenticity today. The author talks about how really being authentic is impossible (my take on what he said). I think he nailed a couple of points really well. He talked about high and low self monitors. Which one do you identify with? I think I am a combo of both. Within the community I am a high self monitor, but in my day to day life I am a low self monitor. Does that make me a fraud? Maybe someone thinks so, but I don't. I have a public face that I have to maintain for business reasons, but most people would not want to hear what I really have to say on a personal level so I edit myself with certain audiences.

We all do it. If you don't, then you lie. Straight up! Look..there's my low self monitor coming to the surface. :)

Is authenticity generational like he mentions in the article? Is sincerity what people are really trying to represent rather than authenticity?

I agree with his very last statement in the article.
No one wants to hear everything that’s in your head. They just want you to live up to what comes out of your mouth.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Re: Authenticity or Sincerity: Which do you prefer?

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:56 am

I think the guy is confused about being authentic...I don't think it means I have to say everything that passes through my head, that's just fucking ridiculous (oops, there it is in my head and out my...fingers).

But, it should be more of mean what you say and say what you mean. Just because I don't say everything I think doesn't mean I am a fraud. It just means I am not saying anything, but if ask...then you will get what is in my head...it just fly's out my mouth.

I've been told MANY times that I have no filter. Bull, I filter a LOT otherwise snowflakes around the world would be in huddled masses crying. Or I would be in a lot of fights.

As I have gotten older, I just ignore the liars and fakes, I am not wasting my time with them. Sooner or later they are all found out and it is no skin off my ass, because I have no time invested in them.

It seems those who use the word authentic the most, are the fakest. They are just using it to try and convince themselves that they are good honest people. Like the used car salesman "trust me".

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:14 am

You actually DO have a filter, Sheryl. You're right, if someone asks you something they are going to get what you think every single time.

I think lots of people misuse authenticity. They don't really know what it means or maybe the confusion lies in everyone has a different version of what authenticity means to them. It's a clusterfuck.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

systemsavvy

Unread post by systemsavvy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 am

I think that sometimes we can use "authenticity" as a cop out to underperform. A few years ago, I remember saying to my coach, "what you see is what you get and if they don't like it, they aren't my client." She challenged me by asking if I was using that concept as an "out" to NOT do the things I wasn't comfortable doing. She was right.

Now I view "authenticity" as presenting my best view to the world. NOT fake, but the version of who I want to be at my best and highest self.

Make today productive, rewarding, and fun!

Lisa

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:15 am

I never thought about it as a cop out. That's definitely something to think about for sure. Good food for thought!

I like how you view it... "as presenting my best view to the world."

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com