Freshbooks: A Quickbooks alternative

Articles that are about business that do not fit other categories.
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Freshbooks: A Quickbooks alternative

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sat May 07, 2016 1:54 pm

Over the last few years in business I have really hated my accounting processes. As my business grew I needed to move from manual accounting to a true system. Of course, I signed up for Quickbooks because that is what "everyone" is supposed to use or is using. I tried it and it just pissed me off. There is the Quickbook program that you can buy and house on your PC or you can pay monthly for the cloud version.

Now I know tons of businesses use Quickbooks and quite successfully, but what about the business owner who just doesn't have time to figure it out or who has a more complicated business that Quickbooks just doesn't work for in the end? In the end Quickbooks did not work for me. Their UI was just more than I wanted to learn and it was too much for what I needed in the end. So, I threw in the towel. I've heard horror stories from fellow business owners who have had awful experiences with their customer service. Bad attitudes, dismissive comments, etc, etc and that is just not acceptable business practices especially when the competition is heating up and there are better and more cost effective options for accounting.

After chatting with Danetha Doe last year about accounting tips and tax filings, she shared a few other great accounting programs that we can use as Quickbooks alternatives. After trying out a few of them, I landed on my favorite.... Freshbooks!

Freshbooks has a super friendly UI which makes learning it simple. I had an account set up in minutes. It's less than $10 a month to start and pricing is based on # of clients. So, if you have 5 clients or less, 10 bucks won't break the bank. I wanted to pull in my expenses for 2015 in and pull reports to prepare for my taxes. I had a little trouble trying to figure out the .csv upload, so I called their team and Erynn not only walked me through how to do it, she edited my .csv personally to make sure that it uploaded correctly. It was awesome. The customer service that Freshbooks provides is so refreshing in a world where companies forget that what makes them is their customer.

I have called into Freshbooks randomly for different things or to learn more about different functions of the program and every single person I have ever spoken to has been helpful and kind. Much better than "other" companies customer service.

If you are looking for a new accounting software, I highly recommend Freshbooks.

Disclosure: If you click on the Freshbooks link above and sign up for a paid service, I will receive a free month of service.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Re: Freshbooks: A Quickbooks alternative

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Mon May 09, 2016 1:01 am

I haven't messed with Quickbooks in years. As for keeping things in the cloud...I don't think so!!!! That is the type of info that I do not want out for random people to possibly grab!

Then again, I am a bit old and know how to do accounting with pencil and paper! LOL

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Freshbooks: A Quickbooks alternative

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon May 09, 2016 8:47 am

You are old...lol. I know, cloud can be tricky. So many people use cloud services though and if they are going to use them, then I am going to try out different ones and share my experiences.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com