How to Keep Your Employees & Keep Them Happy

Articles that are about business that do not fit other categories.
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

How to Keep Your Employees & Keep Them Happy

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:00 pm

I was an employee for years. I recently picked up a night job since I have been helping take care of my mom. As I read through these 9 points from INC on how to retain your good employees, it made me realize why I dislike my part time job SO much!

Now some employees won't give a shit. They just want to come in and do the minimum amount of work and get paid for it. I struggle with that mindset. I blame my parents. I was taught to have a good work ethic and drive. When I go to do a job, I want to do the best that I can whether it is in my business or working for someone else.

A couple of points stood out to me in this article:

They want to learn. If you have an employee that is itching to learn more about the job or the company, LET THEM! Teach them, show them that you are interested and happy that they are interested! If you don't make an effort to teach them and fill that need for them, they begin to resent the job and management.

They want good management. They want to know that they can go to their boss and not be afraid of retaliation or repercussions if they highlight a concern or a problem. They want to know that you care as their boss. They also need to e able to respect you as the manager. If you can't earn their respect, you have much bigger issues.

They want clearly defined duties. I've been thrown into jobs on day one with no training and I have been in jobs where the training is 1-14 days long or more. I am a better employee when I have training. When I get thrown into the fire with no info, I get frustrated. It hits that hot button in me that says I want to be the best, but I can't be the best because I don't know what the f*ck I am doing. That pisses me off.

This article really nailed some of the finer points of managing employees and how to keep them coming back and staying at the job. The cost to train and replace an employee in most industries is upwards of $50,000. KEEP THEM! Find out what makes them tick and help them be successful. You will create a great work environment and your employees won't dread coming in to work everyday.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Re: How to Keep Your Employees & Keep Them Happy

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:20 am

I think as the article mentioned...BOREDOM is a killer!

Doing the same thing over and over is terrible.

I also think that some managers are afraid for the people under them to learn more, because they are in fear of their job being taken.

Business should also understand that any employee worth a shit is probably looking for another job at all times. When a boss gets pissed because they heard you were looking for a different job, they should reevaluate and find a way to keep you if that is what they want. We aren't in the old days where people stayed at a job for 20+ years, most business have no incentive to stay that long, so people move on.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: How to Keep Your Employees & Keep Them Happy

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:50 pm

The turnover rate for so many companies is ridiculously high. There are some many people out there who would stay in a job if an employer just made a little bit more of an effort. I agree with you Sheryl, people are always looking for the next best thing. If an employer made their job the "next best thing" then an employee wouldn't leave.

I also agree that under qualified managers can be scared of being replaced. I always learned that it was best to surround myself with those that are smarter than myself and then we as a team can do more together.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com