Where is all the good content at?

Articles that are about business that do not fit other categories.
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Where is all the good content at?

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Content is such a hot topic these days for so many businesses who have an online audience, but I gotta tell ya... I am BORED out of my mind. YAWN! :o Bored to tears, bored to death...BORED! If there is such a need for content, why is no one putting out interesting and engaging content for their audience... ahem....ME?!

I can find all the recipes I want and things to buy on Amazon, but I can't find a good article that engages me and keeps me coming back to the website for more. I have adopted the "slow web" mindset and I am actively looking for content that I can sit back, take my time and read. I got nothin'! I like good reads from Ash over at The Middle Finger Project. She recently wrote an article about how there is nothing new on the internet and I am in total agreement with her. See my other post about it....

Our buddy David Kutcher is a follower of the "slow web" and he writes his blog posts so that you can kick back, drink that cup of coffee (or tea) and enjoy a good read. He gets you thinking and sometimes it can make your brain hurt because you start thinking of all the new things you need to do because of his post. Sometimes I end up reading his blog posts a half dozen times before it all really sinks in. That might drive some of you crazy, but I like a good read that makes me think, that challenges me to be/do better, that pushes my thinking outside the box.

Not everything has to be long, it just has to be good. I'm tired of regurgitated social media bullshit content. Teach me something new. Make me look at something from a different perspective. Make me think! Don't slather me with your mushy, old, tired content that you basically stole from 10 other people. That is insulting to your reader...again...ME!

So, to help you out I thought of a few ways to create new content.

Poll your readers. What are they struggling with in their business or daily life. What solutions can you provide to their challenges.

Collaborate with other experts. If you don't have anything new to say, find someone else in your field of expertise and see what new challenges they have been experiencing. Come together on a piece or interview them for your blog to get a new fresh perspective.

Ditch the political correctness. Speak your mind. I know, you want all your readers to love you, but I respect people who speak the truth, no matter how uncomfortable it makes me. Yes, you may lose some of your audience, but what and WHO will you gain?

Follow your competitors. What are they talking about? How can you stand out from them? Do you know a better solution or answer to a question? No need to put them down, just make yourself stand out a bit more.

In the end...get freaking creative. I rummaged through my last 50+ articles that I saved looking for something decent to read.... Guess what I didn't find? Something to read and that led me to this pleasant rant.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Re: Where is all the good content at?

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:16 am

I know how you feel. I read a LOT online, so it can get very stale at times. When "big news" comes out and everyone is writing about it, you have to make sure you have enough personality or added info to make you post stand out.

I would say that your other tip about interviewing experts is another big hit that people miss on their blogs and videos. By bringing in other people they add a new view or new topics that the site/channel owner doesn't know well enough to be an expert. Could be that some people are afraid to highlight others or admit that they are not an expert at every topic.

HINT - I am NOT an expert in every field, if you don't believe me, watch me in the kitchen. LOL

The politically correctness should be called how to make your shit BORING!

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:42 am

So many are trying to be part of the first ones to get the news out when something big does hit, but they usually fall flat because they do it wrong. They really don't have the early scoop or insider info to get it out early and make it really good.

I like bringing in experts. I'm smart, but just not smart enough or don't care enough to know everything. I've learned that I can bring value by finding good experts with a ton of expertise. I then become known for knowing quality business people.

Political anything is boring! Ha!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am

I think that grabbing news and sharing it with your people when it 1st comes out is fun. I love when I see a new update and can get something out. But, I tend to look at the good and how it can be bad...have to fire a few people up. But, once the news is going everywhere, there isn't a hole lot of point to rewriting unless you can add things you have seen/done because of the change.

Part of the boring issue is many of us all follow the same people in the same circles, so it gets old when everyone is all posting and talking about the same stuff. If you just get in with the influencers, they are sometimes the worst about sharing the same crap and then resharing their version of that same crap.

You have to get out those circles and look for the "oddball" people. Those people that post on topics that you don't normally follow may just be the answer to some of your boredom. Also those people and sites that maybe are lesser known and have a twist can be a goldmine.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:16 pm

I unfollowed lots of "influencers" for that very reason. Sharing all the same crap all the time. It got really old, really fast. Now I just watch a few key people that I trust for certain updates and let all the rest of it go. I've got no time for duplication....

I do like people like you who will look at new things from a different perspective...negative or otherwise...because that can put an interesting spin on things.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:27 am

Lany, I always look for the negative...It is that Devils Advocate role that someone has to play! LOL

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:15 pm

You are a good devil's advocate! Sometimes you just gotta throw down and challenge the status quo.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sun May 01, 2016 10:31 pm

This topic hits home each week when I am looking for something good to share. Ugh. Irritates me. And of course, I don't have the time to write all the time nor do I know everything about everything either...so it leaves me frustrated.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com