FTC regulates affiliate links/promotions on Social Media

Articles that are about business that do not fit other categories.
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

FTC regulates affiliate links/promotions on Social Media

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:43 am

With the rise of marketers on social media the FTC has finally stepped in and is increasing regulation on product and affiliate link marketing.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/a ... endor.html

If you are marketing a product or sharing an affiliate link where you make a profit, you need to disclose that you are making an income. Read this article to make sure that you are complying with all the appropriate regulations.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

MicheleJennae

Re: FTC regulates affiliate links/promotions on Social Media

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:12 pm

I think you've done a great job at the bottom of your resources page Lany. The only affiliate things I've done is amazon products, but I don't think I've made a dollar. Not worth worrying about for me personally.

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Thank you. I don't want to get busted and I also think that people need to figure out the tools on their own and remember that what works for me and what I like, they may not.

I did have an amazon affiliate, but I didn't do much with it.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:17 am

I think some of this is just overreach! Seriously, common sense should come into play as to if a "Like" or a RT or a review is an endorsement. If I make a How To video of a product, it could be seen as an endorsement and the FTC could easily find a way to nail me, even though I have not told people to buy it, I am just showing them how to use it if they do. The common sense should come in when the person watching checks out the product, does their own research and decides if they want to purchase. If someone is so easily influence that a LIKE by a friend means they will pull out their cash...I got some ocean front property in Death Valley to sell them.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:45 pm

I agree with Sheryl, it is a bit of a stretch. The person taking your advice needs to take a bit of responsibility for their decision. And if you don't know in today's day and age that people get paid to link you to something...well is your head under a rock???

I think the distinction would come when someone says "hey this is how to use this and you should buy it, here's a link." If they are an affiliate, the right thing to do is say "I love this product so much I decided to be an affiliate for them and here is the link to buy it if you decide based on this how to that it's something you need too."

That said, I have seen a lot of people say "I am not an affiliate but I like this widget." As an educated person (and that common sense thing you are talking about), I take those recommendations far more seriously.

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:22 pm

I don't disagree with the common sense at all, but remember....we ARE talking about our government. Whatever they can fine us for and whenever they can squeeze another buck out of us, they will.

The fact that the law is in place now just means that we have to be more aware about what we promote or how we promote it.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:00 am

I don't understand first of all, why anyone would have a problem if John Doe made a buck off of a book he recommended. As consumers, we are still responsible to do our due diligence, and firstly see if we respect John Doe enough to take his recommendation seriously, and second to check out the product recommended to see if it fits our likes, wants, and needs.

It doesn't cost me anything more by clicking on John Doe's link than it does to find the link on my own. Why would I begrudge him a dollar?

Smacking my head on this one still. Doggone FTC.

Still, I don't do affiliates. I don't have the time, energy, or desire to set them up, but I LOVE recommending a great product, book, service, etc.

And Lany, I think you do affiliates with class!

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:44 am

Aw...wow...thank you Michele. I've made a few bucks off of affiliates, but nothing to write home about. I could make more if I actually pimped it out, but I don't do it for that reason.

And I agree with you! Dang FTC!

Apparently, people don't have the ability to take responsibility, so the government has to step in once more to control a situation. This is what happens when anyone can sue anyone for anything.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com