A charity that supports families when mom is REALLY sick

Articles about Parenting, Family Life, Homeschooling...
Marisa Goudy

A charity that supports families when mom is REALLY sick

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:21 pm

One of the gems of new york's Hudson Valley is the charity Sparrow's Nest. They make meals for families whose main caregiver is ill. It all started when, as described by the founder Krista Jones:

"Just two short years ago, I lost a dear friend. Then, in a matter of months, I received the devastating news that 4 other friends were battling cancer. I couldn’t find a cure, because after all, I am only a mom…but I am a mom and maybe that is the most important thing of all."

So her support to a few families became a major support network. Local car dealers promote fundraising events in their radio ads. There are many girls' nights out and 5Ks to amp up donations.

More here: http://sparrowsnestcharity.org/about-sparrows-nest/

A great story of how "the little things" can mean so much to a family and a community.

What local organizations that support local families are you proud to support?

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Sheryl Loch

Sparows Nest Helping 1 Family at a Time

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Marisa, what a great organization!

I think a lot of people focus on saving the world, when what they should do is focus on helping that 1 neighbor, then it may turn into helping 2 neighbors and if everyone did that small part...think of how things would improve in the whole community.

People go online to complain about what needs fixed in their own communities, but they look for the wrong people to do the fixing. They should look in the mirror to see how they can "fix" a problem for 1 other person.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: A charity that supports families when mom is REALLY sick

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:47 am

Marisa, this is an amazing organization. I love Krista's simple philosophy of giving and helping others. It's so awesome to be able to find organizations that really have a heart at it's core.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Marisa Goudy

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:50 am

Yes, Lany and Sheryl - there's one cure for helplessness: help someone, anyone. And thank goodness for organizations like this that already exist. Show up, be useful, show up again, spread the world. Holy crap... the world starts to change!

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Oh my gosh, I totally agree. We really can do more than we think we can. We can impact and reach more people than we think we can. Many times, we just have to begin. This is a good reminder that we CAN do great things.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com