PopUps on Blogs - Good or Bad

Articles about Website Development, Design, Tools and Tips
Sheryl Loch

PopUps on Blogs - Good or Bad

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:40 am

UGH Pop-Ups!

I was just over at Hot Blog Tips reading a post that Brian Hawkins made as a response to Mitch Mitchell’s post about having popups on your blog.

Having known both of these guys for years, I can say that them disagreeing about something is not new. I think they just like picking on each other, something I would never do (I can almost say that with a straight face).

Anyway, back to the topic of popups.

I suggest you read the post from Mitch at Popups Ruin A Blog Readers Experience, so you can understand his point of view and then click over to read what Brian has to say at Stop Crying About Popups, Blogging Isn’t Just For Kids – Silly Rabbit.

Now that you know what the boys have to say, here is what I think and I am sure you will want to add your thoughts about popups on blogs!

Do I like popups?

It just depends...if I get a popup before I have even read anything then I just close the page. This reminds me of my YouTube "rule", if you try to sell us, tell us how great you are or want people to subscribe before you have given anything of value, people leave. If people found you by searching…they want an answer now.

If the popup is big and hard to get to the X to close, then I leave. This is like holding me hostage if I sit and waste time with trying to get to your post. What do I do…I leave!

People need to remember that the info you are providing is most likely posted on other sites. Unless you are the only person in the world with that info, you risk losing would be readers...it is up to the blog owner to decide if they want to take that risk.

I know there are other blogs that only have popups for special post or events and it isn't every time you visit. Those don’t bother me as long as they follow “my rules” above.

The blogs that have a popup that comes in when you have read down most of the page don’t phase me a lot, if I can quickly and easily close them. Otherwise, I leave.

So what do you think of blog popups?
Do they bother you?
Does a popup lead you to sign up for their email list?

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Brian D. Hawkins

Re: PopUps on Blogs - Good or Bad

Unread post by Brian D. Hawkins » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Well, Sheryl, all I hear is, "I agree with Brian because he's so smart." Mitch is wrong. LOL

Funny, he'll never respond here because he won't register. I can say anything I want. To be fair, if we make it to his age, we might find it hard to change too. :P

So, to paraphrase, you're saying, "Pop-ups are fine as long as they're used properly and respectfully." <- What she said, I agree.

I'm Brian, find me @HotBlogTips everywhere.

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Ya know what I have also seen it done well and done really badly. I would LOVE to find a good pop up that is mobile friendly and easy to close. What do you think? Do you guys have favorite tools?
Cuz I am in the Sheryl is always right camp & the only thing that holds me back is I don't know which one(s) are good ones :)

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:59 am

Why yes Brian, I always agree with you (except when I don't.)
I knew Mitch wouldn't register, so that meant if it came down to it, I only have to battle with one of you.

Jessica, I think Brian would know which popup works better than I would for list building. He has probably tried them all and knows which ones have what options.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Ok, thank you for the good debate gentleman. I personally HATE pop ups, but I am also a savvy business person who understands the need for tools that will help build lists and generate interest.

If a pop up shows up when I first land on a site or in the middle of an article that I am reading I am done with that site. Hit me up near the end of an article or when I dive deeper into your site; not when I first land and especially not when I am knee deep in your blog post.

I will never do pop ups myself because of how I feel about them, but kudos to those who can do it right and have perfected the art of it.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

veronikasmith

Unread post by veronikasmith » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Pop Ups create bad user experience and generate high bounce rates.Pop Ups are mostly redirect to irrelevant sites so users mostly dislike this function.Pop Ups generates high bounce rate.A bounce rate is the percentage of users who enter a site and then exit without navigating to other pages, or people who quickly push the back button because they immediately see something they don’t like, or are delivered irrelevant content that is not what they were searching for.So, mostly Pop Ups are very bad if sometimes they navigate to irrelevant websites.

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:06 am

If I get a pop up on a site that I am familiar with it, I might consider clicking on it; however, if it is a site that I am new to and they start with a pop up or put one in the middle of the article I am reading it turns me off and I leave.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

systemsavvy

Unread post by systemsavvy » Fri May 06, 2016 8:31 am

WOW - great discussion! I agree . . . pop-ups when used respectfully I don't mind. If they scream at me before I've even had a chance to read - I run away! I'd love to use one on my site, if I knew of a good one . . . suggestions?

Make today productive, rewarding, and fun!

Lisa

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sat May 07, 2016 11:11 am

I think Sheryl is on the hunt for you for a good pop up. Maybe event Brian would know of a good one. I don't use pop ups, but let's see if we can find one!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com