Understanding Your Website Analytics

Articles about SEO, Data Collection, Tools and Tips
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Understanding Your Website Analytics

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Web analytics can be overwhelming no matter who you are. When you are building your website, driving traffic to your website, landing pages, etc or using social media and YouTube it's wise to understand certain terminology.

You've got to know what to manage so that you can actually manage it. When I started learning web analytics, there was tons of stuff that I didn't know. This is a great, comprehensive list to get you started with your web analytics.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Marisa Goudy

Re: Understanding Your Website Analytics

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:22 pm

I've been relying on Jetpack stats for my wordpress site. Though I'm always working to increase traffic, I was ok with the numbers. Then I cracked open my long ignored Google Analytics account. Oh the pain to realize how different things look when you track discrete visitors rather than page views! Good news is that people are spending time on the site. Bad news is that it's a smaller sample size than I had thought.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Marisa, GA is really confusing, or at least it was when I started looking at it. Once we get a handle on it then I thinks it starts to get easier. The videos we did on Google Analytics are super helpful.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Marisa Goudy

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks, lany, I'll look into them. In trying to be discerning about what I really need to know. My former biz partner is a web developer and I trust her to know a lot of that stuff for me, even as our businesses shift from married to BFF status. I know I "should" empower myself with a lot of this, but with ten hours of dedicated work time each week, I'm choosy.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:18 pm

Marisa, I completely understand. The videos that David Kutcher did with us are awesome. He explains what you want to know, why you want to know and how to figure out how to set them up or find them on your GA dashboard. They are broad stroke videos, but they give us a good idea where to start. I found them super helpful. :)

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com